5 Natural Sweeteners to Replace White Sugar
Avoiding white sugar is no easy feat (or so the tale goes…) Actually, there are a number of very accessible, far superior alternatives, which are equally sweet and delicious, and hold far greater nutritional value. White sugar is an ultra-refined carb, known for causing weight gain, bloating, gas and an overall weakening of the immune system. It also infamously raises blood sugar levels, which then leads to an inevitable crash in energy levels. So why compromise on health, when these alternatives offer taste without the empty calories? Let’s take a look:
1. Honey – nature’s antibacterial. Raw honey is known for its remedial properties, from healing coughs, to mending ulcers and wounds, and even promoting sleep. It is also incredibly tasty and a fantastic source of energy.
2. Molasses – Molasses is packed with calcium, magnesium, potassium and iron. It is high in antioxidants which fight free radicals. It promotes healthy weight management, and even contributes to bone health.
3. Date Syrup – Dates are filled with essential minerals and vitamins, including iron, zinc, and vitamin A. They strengthen the body’s muscles and bones, relieve constipation, and have even been proven to prevent abdominal cancer and cure allergies!
4. Maple Syrup – Maple syrup is known for being high in zinc and antioxidants, which promote a healthy immune system, male reproductive health, and a happy heart.
5. Coconut sugar – Coconut sugar is an unrefined sugar with a low glycemic index, and high levels of antioxidants, calcium, iron and fiber.