Mom’s Tomato Sauce: Easy, Tasty, and Slow Cooked
Whenever I make this easy tomato sauce I’m always reminded of mom. The ingredients are simple, and no matter what I’m making this sauce never fails. This is a simple one-pot (or in this case slow-cooker), tomato sauce. You can use it to top pasta, homemade pizza, baked ziti, lasagna, and more.
What you’ll need:
Tools: Slow Cooker
- 2 28oz. cans of whole or crushed tomatoes
- 1 8oz can of tomato paste
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 whole bay leaf
Add all ingredients to a slow cooker, and set to low for 8 hours. That’s it, simple right? This is a base tomato sauce, in addition to the ingredients above, I sometimes add in a 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper to add a kick.
In the last 20 minutes I’ll add cooked Italian sausage and homemade meatballs. Here’s a quick and easy meatball recipe:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 whole egg
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
Add all ingredients to a medium bowl, and use your hands to mix everything together. Then roll into balls and set aside. Fry in a frying pan with a little canola oil until cooked.