Ketchup Chip Mac n’ Cheese Balls
The following recipe may seem a bit weird. However, these cheese balls are some of the best bites of food you will ever have and this recipe will be in your family for years. The great thing about these is that you will probably not need to make a special trip to the supermarket for ingredients, as chances are you have plenty in your kitchen already. This recipe makes 23 cheesy, gooey, ketchup balls.
1 1/4 cups macaroni noodles (Leftovers is fine!)
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup 2% milk
1/8 tsp cayenne
2 Tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 cup shredded old Cheddar
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1 1/4 cups crushed ketchup chips
1. Cook pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until tender (7-8 minutes)
2. Melt butter in a sauce pan. Whisk in 2 Tbsp. flour until pasty. Gradually add milk. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir occasionally until sauce begins to thicken.
3. Take off of heat and stir in the cheddar, cayenne, Dijon, and half of the mozzarella. Add the pasta.
4. Refrigerate for two hours. Add other half of mozzarella. Form into small balls and place on a lined baking sheet. Freeze for two hours.
5. Whisk eggs in a bowl. Pour crushed chips onto a plate of baking sheet. Toss each ball in flour, eggs, and then chips. Place baking sheet and allow to thaw to room temperature.
6. Heat oil to 350º. Fry balls until golden brown.