Made Easy: The New Year, New You Green Smoothie
Federal dietary guidelines advise getting 2-3 cups of vegetables per day. What better way to meet your daily quota than by blending some greens into a smoothie for breakfast, lunch, or a mid-day pick-me-up?
Here’s one delicious green smoothie idea – and a general formula for variations – to get you started.
Recipe makes about one 16-ounce or two 8-ounce servings
- 2 dates
- ½ cup hot water
- ½ – 1 cup coconut water
- 2 cups baby kale or spinach
- 1 frozen banana
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 1 ounce)
- Optional: 1 scoop of protein powder
Chop the dates and soak in hot water for half an hour (or until cooled to room temperature). This helps soften the dates for a smoother blend, but you can skip it if short on time.
Add dates with soaking water, coconut water, greens, banana, and lemon juice to the blender. Blend on medium-high for about one minute, or until large green bits disappear.
If using protein powder, add now and blend on low until incorporated.
- Vary the coconut water until you achieve your preferred texture.
- For an even healthier variation, replace half of the banana with ½ cup of frozen sliced zucchini.
To concoct delicious green smoothies on your own, try the 60/40 formula – 60% fruits to 40% vegetables added to a liquid base.